Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Skyline Preserve


Distance: 4.52 miles
Duration: 2:00:39
Elevation Min: 787ft
Elevation Max: 1018ft
Elevation Gain: 397ft

Maps: New York-New Jersey Trail Conference #115
Parking: 41° 2'46.04"N, 74°22'8.90"W 

First hike of the summer of 2015! I drove out to West Milford to take the loop at the New Jersey Conservation's Skyline Preserve. I followed the instructions from http://njconservation.org/skylinepreserve.htm about where to park on Weaver Road and I once I got on the trail I was immediately greeted by a massive fallen tree that made me fear that the trail was out of commission, but climbing past it the trail was right there waiting for me.

Trail markers on one of the fallen trees. 

Not too far down the trail I was greeted by an abandoned car right before some wetness, and then the trail proceeds into the woods.


The trail began very clear and well marked, but it quickly became overgrown and the trail markers became scarce. After escaping the first leg of the trail I came to a woods road, which was very easy to follow. Too easy, actually - I walked right past where the trail moved off of the road (which was very poorly marked). From there the trails were incredibly overgrown and the markers were very difficult to find. After a bit of literal climbing through bushes, I came to the first clearing which lacked any views, but it was nice to be in the open and not drenched in the forest.


After having to explore around for a few minutes trying to find out where the trail led, I went back into the forest towards Van Nostrand Lake, which yet very scenic, was incredibly buggy which made it difficult to really enjoy.


There were also remains of a camping shelter somebody made sometime back!


After hiking for a bit under a mile, I came to what I believe the lookout. At this point the trail markers vanished and there was no evidence of a trail in any direction, so after walking around in each direction for 30 minutes (and taking seven ticks off my leg) I gave up on the loop and returned back the way I came.
 

In the end, the hike was pretty but I will not be going back unless I hear about the NJCF going in and restoring the trails. I was scraped up, covered in ticks, and most frustratingly I couldn't finish the loop. There was a lot of evidence of storm damage from Hurricane Sandy, and it's unfortunate that such a pretty preserve has become so inaccessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment